The New York District Attorney’s office has invited FTX victims to register with a service it has set up as part of the potential reimbursement of their funds. To do so, it released the email address of the FTX Victims’ Coordination. In addition, the prosecutor informed the victims of FTX of their rights. According to sources, a website will be launched to facilitate interaction between FTX victims and law enforcement.
Application for registration of FTX victims
Since the collapse of FTX, the American justice system seemed to be only interested in the fate of Sam Bankman-Fried. We remember that the American justice system extradited the ex-CEO of FTX and then released him on bail. Today, the American authorities seem to be turning their attention to the victims of FTX.
In a memo, the U.S. Attorney for the District of New York invited FTX victims to register with a coordination service he has set up. This FTX victim coordination will conduct the vetting process to establish a list of victims. There is no need to make the trip if you are not in New York. You can simply send an email to USANYS-FTXVictims@usdoj.gov.
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud by Samuel Bankman-Fried, please contact the Victim/Witness Coordinator at the U.S. Attorney’s Office using the email address listed below for verification assistance if you are a victim in this case.New York City Attorney.
According to sources, the U.S. government is considering launching a website to facilitate communication between law enforcement and victims. FTX victims number in the thousands. It is simply difficult to contact each of them individually. To that end, federal prosecutors in Manhattan have already petitioned a U.S. judge for permission to use a website to inform victims, rather than contacting them individually.
FTX victims’ rights
In its memo, the U.S. Attorney for the District of New York also informs FTX victims of the rights they can avail themselves of. Overall, these include the right to be protected from the accused, the right to be informed, heard and involved in all phases of the case, the right to full restitution, and the right to be treated fairly and with respect for the victim’s dignity and privacy. In detail, here are the 10 rights of victims as communicated by the prosecutor:
- The right to be reasonably protected from the accused.
- The right to reasonable, accurate and timely notice of any public court proceeding, or parole proceeding, involving the crime or of any release or escape of the accused.
- The right not to be excluded from any such public judicial proceeding unless the court, upon clear and convincing evidence, determines that the victim’s testimony would be materially altered if the victim heard other testimony at such proceeding.
- The right to be reasonably heard at any public proceeding in the district court concerning release, plea, conviction, or any parole proceedings.
- The reasonable right to confer with the government attorney in the case.
- The right to full and timely restitution as provided by law.
- The right to a proceeding without unreasonable delay.
- The right to be treated fairly and with respect for the dignity and privacy of the victim.
- The right to be informed in a timely manner of any plea bargain or deferred prosecution agreement.
- The right to be informed of the rights under this section and the services described in section 503(c) of the Victims’ Rights and Restitution Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 10607(c)) and to provide contact information for the Department of Justice Office of the Victims’ Rights Ombudsman.
As a reminder, former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried is being prosecuted on eight counts of squandering funds from FTX.com customers, FTX.com investors and Alameda Research lenders. He was arrested in the Bahamas on December 12 and extradited to the United States. Sam was later released on a massive $250 million bail. The fate of the victims has been ignored by the authorities until now. Let’s hope that the FTX Victims’ Coordination Office will give them a voice and the opportunity to recover their assets in the future.
I dream of a world where every citizen has total control over themselves, including their finances. I believe that Bitcoin is one of the tools that will achieve this revolution. Since 2019, I am learning about this cryptocurrency and spreading the word around.